Monday, January 11, 2016

The shit that ain't broke

So tonight I was browsing the web for a new fry pan. Mine are those teflon coated craps and they're starting to chip. (Yeah, that was a smart move, science people.) And since I remember reading somewhere that teflon is bad for you, I decided it's time for a new pan so I can ditch these shits. I have kids, man,I can't be feeding them chunks of whatever the heck teflon is! Do they even sell that stuff anymore??

That's when it occurred to me that there was a time when people didn't try to constantly fix what wasn't broken. But in the past few decades or so the science people and the inventor types have been (money hungry) coming up with new man made shit to replace the old shit (that we knew worked already) only to find out 15-20 years later that their new shit is making people sick, making people fat, making our kids stupid, giving us cancer, and apparently making us all dumber by the minute because we just can't wait to throw our money at them for the chance to have the brandest newest shit on the market.

What happened to don't fix shit that ain't broke? They weren't making enough money off stuff that doesn't break I guess. Consumers used to look for quality when they went out to give away their hard earned money. Now we're all poor so everything comes from China and it breaks a day after the warranty runs out. And we all know this to be true! But we have no other option when we're poor so we throw our money away on crap and we're happy to do it because, well hey, it comes in purple!

And I'm as guilty of this stupidity as the next guy. Cuz I'm poor, and I like purple.

But I've noticed the recent trend is to buy more sturdy things. "Green" things. Like pans made of porcelain or stone. (I can't afford the stone, I wish, so I'm going to try the porcelain and hope it lasts at least a year). So does this mean I'm not the only poor idiot who likes purple but is sick of replacing my made in China crap every week? Maybe I'm just getting older. But maybe at least some of us are smartening up.

I hope to someday be able to afford to boycott the science idiots' China products entirely. Teach them a valuable lesson as old as the hills; Don't fix what ain't broke!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment