Sunday, March 27, 2016

Aussie Eats - sausage rolls

If you've ever traveled to another country, you'll know how I felt when I first got to Australia years ago and looked in my Mom's fridge for a snack and didn't recognize a damn thing as food. The packaging was all different. I really took for granted that all the food in my fridge back home were things I've grown up with and recognize at a glance.

I don't know what I expected, really, but everything in my mom's fridge was so weird. I had to actually read the labels of everything to figure out what it was I was looking for. Like, is this butter? What's a TimTam? Where's the peanut butter? You don't have kool-aid? wtf is cordial? Vegemite? Why would anyone eat this? Never mind, I'll just live off this amazing chocolate that doesn't melt.

Of course Mom thought it was all too hilarious, giggle-snorting at me as I struggle to figure out how to flush the toilet. (A button for number 1, another button for number 2).

I got used to the foreign food eventually. Some of it I really liked. Aussie chocolate is like a candy orgasm. My family sends me some for Christmas sometimes. The meat there is so much better than here. It's fresh, no fillers or bullshit. I recommend if you have the option in your area, buy straight from your local butcher. The difference will amaze you.

One of my favorite aussie foods is sausage rolls. So I found a recipe online a couple years ago, converted it to American, dropped the undesirables (carrots, yuck!) , changed some stuff a little and hocus pocus, perfect sausage rolls at home.

Everybody loves them, so try them yourself before you share haha
I like them with mustard :)


I borrowed this pic from Google.
I don't cut mine before I cook.
 Makes a mess.
Sausage Rolls

   Ingredients

1-2 lb sweet sausage mince (or country style. hot not recommended)
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and shredded (Optional. Yuck)
2 eggs
1 cup bread crumbs
 2 TBS barbecue sauce
 4 cans crescent rolls (the pop-open tube can kind)

    Prepare

-Mix all but the crescent rolls together in a large bowl. 
-Open up the crescent rolls and tear them apart into rectangles. You can do triangles if you prefer, just roll the meat inside the crescent and pinch the ends shut to make a little sausage roll ball. Bakes the same either way.
-Gently pinch together the triangle perforations that you didn't separate to make the rectangles whole, for the most part. 
-Roll the meat mixture into your crescent rolls, lengthwise. 
-Gently pinch the edges shut. It's ok if a little meat is exposed, it won't hurt anything, just shut them enough to keep the things together. 
-Place on a baking sheet, about 1-2" apart. If not a shiny new pan, grease lightly.

      Bake

At 350F for 30 minutes, or until browned. 

     Serve

Hot, with ketchup or mustard for dipping. Can be cut into squares for the kids, the center will be hot. Make some potato wedges and gravy to go with them. 

      Store 

left overs in the fridge in an air tight container up to a week. To reheat place on a microwave safe plate and heat on high for at least 25 seconds on each side.     

There's my sausage rolls. One of my family's favorite meals! Save this recipe and subscribe for more. =)

Happy Birthday Nanna and Rian <3 amp="" back.="" both="" end="" i="" infinti="" love="" of="" p="" the="" to="" you="">

No comments:

Post a Comment